Or Hot Rum Almond, as the case may be. The older I get, the more dairy really messes with my system – so almond milk it is! If you are like me, and need a dairy alternative, make sure you get the unsweetened unflavored variety of whichever alternative you prefer.
I went searching last week for a good warm rum drink that wasn’t a hot buttered rum or a Tom and Jerry. Don’t get me wrong, those classics have their place, but they’re not really my favorite – the flavors aren’t very sweet or creamy, which means most of the time all I taste is rum. I came across this recipe, which was not only simple – the only thing I had to buy was the almond milk, and if I could handle cow milk I wouldn’t even have had to buy that – but sounded warm and cozy and delicious! It doesn’t have to be overly sweet if you don’t want it to be, since you add as much or as little sugar as you want, but the milk really helps balance out the booze.
If you don’t have bitters, get thee to a liquor store and buy a bottle. You never use more than a few drops in any one drink recipe, so the bottle will last you forever. It adds an herbal quality to drinks, setting them apart from the overly processed and sugary “cocktails” that some bars serve!
Hot Rum Cow
- 8 oz. milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 1/2 oz. dark rum – not only does The Kraken have a kick ass bottle, it’s really good rum too, try it!
- 1 drop bitters
- 1 drop vanilla extract (the bottle did not lend itself to drops so I put in more than one drop – but I don’t think it affected the taste)
- Cane syrup or brown sugar to taste (I used about one teaspoon full, the amount you see in the photo)
- Cinnamon and/or nutmeg as a garnish (optional)
Heat the milk in a saucepan on low or in the microwave, taking care not to scorch it. Combine the rum, bitters, vanilla, in a mug. Pour in the hot milk, then stir in your preferred amount of syrup or sugar. Top with cinnamon or nutmeg if you’d like!
It’s not going to be spring anytime soon folks, so we’ve got a few more cold nights ahead of us. Do yourself a favor and try this cocktail – it’ll warm you inside and out!